Primary/Secondary Education Sponsorship – LKR 13, 200 per year
- SA 2238 is studying in grade 9 at Thurstan College Colombo. He is a very promising student. His has obtained an average of 85 marks for his studies at the last term test held in Dec 2016. He had obtained 175 marks at his grade 5 scholarship examination held at Sri Sumangala Boys School in Panadura and had gained admission to Thurstan College. His sister will be sitting for her G.C.E. Advanced level examination in Aug 2017 in the Maths stream. His father had worked abroad but has now come back to Sri Lanka. Since he has since been unemployed, his earnings abroad have dwindled and the family is in dire straits. The family is dependent on his grandmother. He wishes to study well and become a pilot. He had obtained 99% marks and had been placed 1st in the Colombo South Bible School Society examination conducted by the Sri Lanka Methodist Church. Considering he is a very bright student who gained entrance to Thurstan, it is important to support him financially to pay for his bus fare, stationery and extra lessons. He is from Panadura in Kalutara District.
- SA 2171 is studying in grade 8. She has obtained an average of 67 marks for her term test examination. She is due to sit for her G.C.E. ordinary level examination in year 2020. Her father had died three years ago from a cancer in stomach. She has two siblings. Brother is working as a meson helper and her sister will be sitting for her G.C.E. advanced level examination in August 2017. Mother is a casual worker. Both her mother’s and brother’s income per month is around Rs.10,000. She is in need of money for her bus fares and school stationery etc. She is from Eppawala in Anuradhapura District..
University Education Sponsorship – LKR 23, 760 per year
- UA 2438 –Student is from Devanagala in Kegalle District. She is a first year undergraduate at the University of Sri Jayawardenepura University following her degree programme in Management which is a four year programme. Her father is a casual worker. Student has indicated that her father’s income is around Rs.1,500 per month. Her sister is studying in grade 10. Her mother is unemployed. Family has been certified as a low income family.
- UA 2448 – Student is from Moratuwa in Colombo District. He is a 2nd year undergraduate at the University of Uva Wellassa University following his degree programme in Bachelor of Business Management in Hospitality, Tourism & Events Management which is a four year programme. His father is a carpenter and his income is around Rs.14,000 per month. His mother is not employed. He has a brother and a sister and both are yet schooling. He needs money to travel from Colombo to Badulla and back when he is visiting home, stationery, food etc. His father’s income is not sufficient to support a family of five.
- UA 2412 – Student is from Colombo district. She is a first year undergraduate at the University of Jaffna following her degree programme in Engineering Technology which is a four year programme. Her father is a mechanic. Mother is not employed. She has two siblings studying in grade 11 and grade 6. Father’s monthly income is around Rs.14,000. She needs money for her incidental expense and food etc.
- UA 2436 – Student is from Aselapura in Pollonnaruwa district. She is a first year undergraduate at the University of Sri Jayawardenepura following her degree programme in Management which is four year programme. Her father suffers from mental disorder from year 2013 and taking treatments. Her mother is a daily paid casual employee at CIC Agri Farm. She gets Rs.500 per day. She has two siblings and younger sibling is yet schooling. She needs money for her stationery etc. All are dependent on her mother’s daily wage. She needs money for her stationery etc.
- UA 2428 –Student is from Tangalle in Hambantota District. She is a 2nd year undergraduate at the South Eastern University following her special degree programme in Bachelor of Administration degree programme which is a four year programme. Her degree programme will end tentatively in December 2019. Her sister is married and living separately. Her father is a casual worker and mother is unemployed. Family is certified as a low income family and in receipt of Samurdhi government grant given for low income families. Her father’s income is around Rs.10,000 per month. She needs money for her food, transport as she has to travel nearly 290km to visit home and back (one way), and educational needs.
The annual sponsorship donation for a primary or secondary student is LKR 13,200 while for a university student the annual donation is LKR 23,760, both inclusive of the 10% admin fee introduced from January 2014. Sponsorships are for a minimum period of one year. Sponsors are requested to let CandleAid know in advance if they intend to terminate the sponsorship after one year. You can sponsor more than 1 beneficiary from this programme/and other programmes.
To sponsor a student, you may download the Sponsorship Form and send it to Ms. Janaki Rupesinghe – Head_Education@candleaid.org and copy Mr. Veraan de Mel – firstname.lastname@example.org. Do mention the student’s ID in the email as well.
*Updated as of 18 April 2017